Pre-planning your funeral and burial arrangements
Estate planning and burial pre-arrangement are great ideas… ideas we put off because we don’t want to think about our own end. And yet by failing to prepare for that day ourselves, we allow others to suffer needlessly on our behalf as they try to decide what we would have wanted and how to pay for it.
As the culminating event in our lives, death entails a number of common-sense details to go along with matters of great pride and remembrance. Why leave these choices—and their payment—to a distraught spouse, family member or friend?
Taking care of funeral and cemetery arrangements ahead of time is…
- The responsible and loving thing to do
- About the only chance you get to have it your way
- Makes perfect financial sense
Your pre-arrangement decisions typically include
- Cemetery lot location
- Casket type; cremation urn type
- Vault or sectional crypt
- Type of service (religious, military, fraternal)
- Which funeral home to use
- Pallbearers, music, flowers, scripture or other readings
- Charity to receive donations in lieu of flowers, if preferred
What you can pay for ahead of time in today’s dollars:
- All cemetery and memorialization services
- Funeral arrangements, including clergy, florist and transportation
Benefits of pre-arrangement with CCCS
- Pre-planning allows you the benefit of purchasing your services at today's prices, free from inflationary pressures in the future.
- You gain peace of mind, knowing your family and friends will be relieved of the financial burden often associated with making arrangements when a death occurs.
- You are assured things will be done the way you want. The right to the choices you make in life is protected at death. No one can change anything, and no one will be uncertain about your wishes.
- The terms of your contract are guaranteed and include cancelation privileges.
- Your payment is protected until it is needed to pay expenses.
- Liturgical rights and funeral home services are assured and pre-funded through the Catholic Funeral Plan
- Your payment goes into our Pre-Need Assurance Trust Fund. You will receive a contract outlining the terms and conditions of your purchase and your cancelation privileges. All of the terms and conditions will be fully explained to you
- Cemetery services: if you change your mind within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund of all monies paid. After 30 days, an administrative fee, as required by law and outlined on your contract, will be charged.
- Interment rights, such as a mausoleum crypt or a grave: if you cancel your contract within the first 60 days, you will receive a full refund of all monies paid. After 60 days, a refund will be issued for the amount paid, less a contribution to the Care and Maintenance Fund, again, as required by law.
Organize important documents in our FREE Emergency Records Guide:
One of the most nerve-wracking aspects of handling the arrangements for a loved one that has passed away is knowing who to call and locating important documents and information. Sometimes we know where to look, often we do not.
One of the first steps in the pre-arrangement process is to make sure your essential documents—for example, birth certificate, social security card, insurance policies, cemetery interment rights certificate of ownership, funeral service pre-arrangement certificate etc.—are kept in a safe place, and let your executor know where they are.
Contact us to receive a FREE copy of our Emergency Records Guide to help organize your vital information and instructions. It contains valuable checklists, simple forms for listing documents, designated pages for phone numbers as well as guidelines and places for declaring messages to family and specific instructions concerning your wishes in the event of emergency or death.