In March 1843, Archbishop Purcell of Cincinnati entrusted to a group of German Catholics, the duty of providing a proper Catholic burial for the German Catholic congregations of Cincinnati. At that time, we were called the German Catholic Cemetery Society.
The Society began with 19.22 acres at West Eighth Street and Enright in Price Hill. St. John Cemetery was added in 1849 and St. Mary Cemetery in 1873. 150+ years later the legacy of sacred trust continues as the Cincinnati Catholic Cemetery Society (CCCS). From this small beginning, today our Society's mission remains the same to preserve, protect and to provide a means for a proper Catholic burial, as well as the maintenance of our cemeteries for all Catholic congregations of the Tri-State area.